Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Inappropriate comments takes football announcer off the air

Football is known for homophobia and macho attitudes, but there is no way a professional announcer uses "gay" to describe how someone is playing and expects to keep his or her job. I guess we will find out, as ESPN college football announcer Brian Kinchen is testing the waters in this area. The comment is bad enough, but did cnnsi have to describe him as a "former tight end"? It sounds like a bad joke.

During the game Saturday, Kinchen was explaining the need for receivers to make catches with their hands because they are "tender" and can "caress" the ball. He then paused and said, "that's kind of gay, but hey ..."

Kinchen's future as a commentator with ESPNU, the cable network's college football channel, is still under review, Krulewitz said.

Kinchen, a former tight end who played in the NFL from 1988-00, apologized for his remarks.


"They were completely inappropriate and not at all a reflection of who I am or the way I perform my work," Kinchen said in a statement issued by ESPN. "I have learned from my mistake and look forward to continuing my broadcasting career."



No comments: