Saturday, August 18, 2007

Runescape obsession

Online role playing games are very open ended, so they lend themselves to lots and lots of time spent playing the games. World of Warcraft, of course, is the biggest, and seems to cater to a more adult audience. Runescape has a younger set of players, including both of my sons. I think they would play it 24 hours a day if they could, as would many of their friends, all of whom are male. What's been different this summer with Runescape is the number of real life friends who have tried to scam my sons as well as the bad luck they've had trusting anyone who they've met online through the game. It doesn't surprise me that people try to trick others to get ahead in the game, but the outright stealing and dishonesty among real life friends does bother me. Dealing with people online in an environment where it's difficult to establish trust is an invitation for people to be dishonest if they are so inclined, but when the people are known to you in real life, it's a different story.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with this. I'm currently trying to get my brother off it. My mum is a moron so she doesn't listen to me when I tell her he's obsessed with the game and that she has to do something about it. In fact, she's already agreed (with my younger brother) to pay for a member subscription to runescape. She's even agreed to buy runescape money and weaponry/armory with REAL-LIFE money!

Suffice to say, runescape has to go, and if my mother (oh, or father) won't do anything about it, then it'll have to be me who does something about it.

Here are my plans:
1) Set up a software firewall and block the site.
2) Block the site in all web browsers he uses (IE6, firefox)
3) Do the same on all other computers in the house (he uses one that's in the downstairs lounge, but the other computers also have internet access (we're all connected to a router via cat5e cables))

Anonymous said...

to anonymous: that would be a little mean and your mum might tell you to change it back, but i guess it will work