Friday, August 17, 2007

iMovie 08

I read David Pogue's review of iMovie '08 in the NY Times. He says it should be called something else since it's not an evolution of iMovie but a different application which serves a different purpose. Reading the comments on Pogue's article and elsewhere, there do seem to be quite a few people who really like the new iMovie. It works with hard drive and flash media based camcorders and does seem to be aimed at a more casual kind of user who wants to put something together quickly. Others have pointed out the lack of audio editing and timeline features and maybe it is the case that Apple wants people to use Final Cut Express for those features. For me, the ease of use with iMovie kept me from spending any time on Final Cut Express. I could do what I wanted to do, for the most part, with iMovie, so I never bothered to learn FCE.

Fake Steve Jobs aka that guy at Fortune magazine even chimes in with some commentary about the Pogue review. It does make you wonder if Pogue will continue to get the insider stuff from Apple. He should, because at least he's honest with his opinion.

No comments: