Sunday, December 03, 2006

Flash software not doing the job

I have the latest version of Flash 8 Professional, but it's not native for the Intel Mac, and has run into some problems with recent updates to Quicktime. I thought Flash had become well integrated with Quicktime, but yesterday I found out otherwise. I spent some time creating an animation in Flash and then when I went to export it, I learned that it isn't working so well with Quicktime at all. I couldn't export to anything other than the .swf format, and when I did that, I couldn't open the file in any application other than the one I created it in. So there was no way to play back the exported movie due to some kind of incompatibility with Quicktime. I ended up playing the Flash video in Flash Professional 8 and capturing in with a screen capture program in order to convert it to Quicktime. That worked, but was not optimal. I need to investigate the problem more before I go ahead with my purchase of the Adobe Suite at work. It may be best to wait until the Spring when all of these applications are updated to work properly with the Intel Macs.

No comments: