Thursday, November 09, 2006

ViaTalk for Voice over IP phone service

Voice over IP services are popping up all over the place and they sure offer better deals than I get with my local phone service which is rock bottom and gives me nothing other than the ability to call people in about a 20 mile radius for $16 a month. The ViaTalk service costs about the same -- $15.95 a month, with 6 months free -- but they offer so much more. Included are unlimited calls in the US and Canada (I don't know anyone in Canada, but I could make some friends), callerID, call waiting, and more. Unlimited calls for $15.95 is a nice deal even if you are using your cell phone for long distance. The service is available in all 50 United States, in 2200 metro markets. My market isn't one of them, but that might change as they expand. You can check to see if ViaTalk is in your location by using this page with a handy map. The complete list of services, and it is a pretty long list, can be seen here.

The quality of VOIP has really improved to the point where, for me at least, it is indistinguishable from standard phone service and much better than my cell reception.

No comments: