Thursday, March 01, 2007

Saving disk space

When your hard drive is close to full, performance suffers. Applications like to have room for virtual memory as well as to store temporary files and when you get down to just a little free space, it's a bad deal. I was reading an article today on the MacWorld site about ways to get back some disk space that isn't really being used. The author suggested Monolingual for removing the many languages which are installed as part of OS X but which may never be used. I figured that was a good place to start and I saved 5 GB on my laptop and about 9 on my iMac. Seemed great until I went to actually use my laptop and found that I may have done something wrong and deleted the key layout or something. Now I can't type a dollar sign -- I get this: ¥ -- and my text entry is in a strange font where the spacing is not right when I use capital letters Like This. Hmmm. I hope I don't have to reinstall the OS...

No comments: