Friday, December 22, 2006

LA Times customer service - are they people or robots?

My copy of the LA Times wasn't delivered this morning, so I called their missing paper number and requested a replacement. That didn't show up, so I called back again and was routed to customer service. I'm not sure where the customer service people work, but "Mike" seemed like an automotan. He asked for my name, address and phone number, the same information I had already entered in the automated system. He also asked why I was calling, so I told him I didn't get today's paper. He was having trouble finding my account. I told him it might be under my wife's last name, which I gave to him. He found it. Then he said "please give me your address." I said, "it's the same one I just gave you," but I had to recite it again. Then he said "How can I help you today?" -- as if we had never spoken. I told him I had not received my paper and was calling to see if I could get a copy delivered. He said he would make sure I got my paper and that was the end of the conversation. The paper never arrived.

No comments: