Tuesday, October 03, 2006

No future as a lumberjack

My 77 year old neighbor and I cut down a 30 foot tall palm tree in my backyard yesterday. The tree had gotten too large and was pushing over the fence separating my yard from another neighbor's. Although the job only took about 2.5 hours, I am still feeling the pain 24 hours later. I haven't felt this sore since my first day on the job as an orange picker in Deland, Florida many years ago. I thought a chainsaw was a labor saving device, and it is, but operating one for that long is very draining, especially for someone whose normal tasks involve typing at a keyboard. I'm resting up for another day before cutting down a second tree. There are actually 4 trees that need to go, but 2 will have to wait until we figure out how to get rid of all the branches and stumps which are taking over my backyard.


No comments: